Sunday, December 25, 2022

premonition


 

As if my dream of him was a premonition

Nick sends a photo holding a huge fish

Caught the day after I sent him my vision

But his real fish is bigger than in my dream


Seeing it I laugh delighted but nervous

Enjoying the uncanny coincidence

Tinged with disapproval at the image

Looking like Hemingway off Key West


It looks like he hauled in a giant tuna 

A fish that humans are killing off

And now that I know fish feel pain

The thought of those hooks hurts me


My skeptical life partner disbelieves

Declaring it must be photoshopped

Or pulled from some past fishing trip

Doubting the timing sensing a joke


Leading me to think the image is spoof on me

Tricked again by being a gullible person

But Nick assures me no such thing

It’s an amberjack caught that very day


He’s in Hawaii enjoying a family vacation

And always releases whatever he catches

But this fish was given to a local church

To feed the hungry who gather there