Thursday, November 10, 2022

rude awakening

Awakening before dawn to the sound of dripping

Water seeping down the window and patio door

Finding water bubbling in under the door

With nothing but towels to sop up the floor


Towels that I carry dripping to the shower

To wring them out by hand and return for more 

Performing a different sort of bucket brigade

Trying to keep up with the unrelenting flow


Eventually the rain abates and the crisis passes

Leaving me exhausted and arm weary with a stiff back

Too much twisting and bending over to start the day 

But thankfully we still have power and internet


Next I head to the kitchen to cook dinner

Hoping the lights stay on until I finish 

All the while hearing the gale winds rattle the door

As if someone is knocking asking to get in


We have a front row seat by the ocean 

Where the drama continues hour after hour

But I have lost interest in the storm scene

Preferring to close the blinds and rest