Friday, November 18, 2022

retraced route

I've been down this road before

Seen first on a long distance bike ride

A vacation adventure experienced long ago 

Riding along the scenic coastal highway 


Examining everything closely in passing

From the vantage point of my handlebars

Pushing the pedals mile after mile

Imprinting the memory of a lifetime 


Being here now so many years later

Settled in for a month long visit 

As we often retrace a section of that route

Sometimes I imagine myself rolling along


The odd thing is it seems so far now

Even though our car goes much faster

And we don't even cover half the distance

As we motor along almost effortlessly


For sure I'm in no shape to repeat it 

To make the same bike ride again today

But the sense of accomplishment remains

Remembering the exhilaration I felt then