Thursday, May 6, 2021

ineffective choices

I failed him almost fifty years ago 

Not realizing the guilt I would carry 

Revisiting the ineffective choices I made

Not knowing what else to do 


Not someone I knew well 

But I recognized him as homeless 

Wandering aimlessly on Fifteenth Street 

Seen as I was making deliveries 


He had fled from the psych ward upstate

Forced megadose injections of thorazine 

Leaving him traumatized and fearful 

Afraid they would make him take more of it


Stepping up into the cab of my truck 

Where I was not allowed to let him be

Riding along to the next stop pleading with me

To let him crash under my roof 


He stayed with us some days or weeks 

Too upset to handle his arousal taking a bath 

Worrying us with a six-year-old daughter 

Until I told him he had to go 


I remember finding him in the hallway 

Sleeping outside my apartment door 

Telling him he could go and get a bed 

In the men's shelter around the corner 


I gave him a slip of paper with an address 

Of a friend who also knew him that he could ask 

For help perhaps to stay with him a while 

The friend who told me the police came knocking

 

The cops found the address on the dead body

Taken as evidence to investigate further

How I found out later what happened

What they told my friend at his door 


I still see his eyes above that classic roman nose

Looking back at me hurting as I send him away

Enea Atti who ended his painful life

February 7, 1974 at 27 years old


He jumped from the roof of the men's shelter 

A place where I went regularly for years after 

Making deliveries mingling through the crowd 

Hurrying past their deep despair and desperation

 

Please forgive my apparent indifferent hardened gaze

Looking away from this scene of human misery 

Holding back my empathetic response 

Trying to hide my distress being unable to help