Tuesday, May 18, 2021

buttercups

Do the flowers change as I touch your skin?

They are merely buttercups.  No sign of death in them.


The words reverberate silently summoned up

By the sight of buttercups glowing in the sun

Though my imperfect recall compacts it into one line

Remembering the start of a love poem recited by my friend 


Remembering him as a giant cherub so full of life 

Unashamed and unafraid to celebrate a gay poet

My friend who so loved to perform the spoken language 

Flashing his delight in a smile after each reading


Those days are long gone but his presence is with me still

The way his mouth caressed the syllables of sound

The way he rocked and rose up on his toes speaking

Hearing his voice like the singer he was


We were young and innocent embracing life experience

Untouched by the hard lessons learned later

Unaware the boils on his back would eventually kill him

Presaged in the way he winced when I last hugged him


And so the words in that poem have grown on me

Retaining just these two lines that I keep in memory

Like certain other heartfelt expressions left us by that poet

That speak to my older self in a kind of sweet sad way