Tuesday, March 12, 2019

soon

So many of my generation who fought the good fight
Sadly could not stay the course when life pulled on us
With our great leaders assassinated or imprisoned
And I count myself among those who dropped away.

Consumed in bad marriages I could not find my way
To overthrow the old order when my life was such distress
Though I did what I could in my small way
Representing at work and in the community.

The singers of our anthems now dead or depressed
May no longer inspire the change we rose up to bring
But the youth of today have their eyes on the prize
And I do believe they will seize the moment this time.

A generation of women and people of color
Speaking truth to power so clear and on point
Soon will ask us to answer the call when they sound it
To sweep away all the racist misogynist warmongers.

To take power out of the hands of the ruling class
Who profit from division setting us against each other
To create a new state to really serve and protect
When government exists for the benefit of us all.