Saturday, November 14, 2009

two seniors


Passing the sign announcing events for seniors
At first I think it is about you, the high school senior.
In a moment I realize it is for my age group
Though it is not my identity.

I am old enough for AARP membership.
I am even old enough to collect social security.
That’s not my life. I’m not done working.
I am older but not old yet.

It pleases me that you have become a senior
And I am still here for you.
I was afraid you might lose me very young
Being older when you were born.

I’m going to continue working and providing.
It’s good for me and good for you.
Our stories are unfolding still.
You will find your way in the world.

I will be happy in your choices.
You are a good person.
And I have a new chapter beginning.
You may be happy for me, too.