Friday, November 13, 2009

pumpkin road











I live by a turn in the road.
I like it here.
It comforts me to hear the tire noise below.
The cars go by one by one.

The bus goes by on schedule
Keeping time with its low diesel thrum.
Tractor trailers backing off their staccato beat
Announce themselves slowing for the turn.

Flashing lights and emergency squawks
Punctuate now and then.
This place is full of people
I hear but don’t see.



The road sounds are a reminder
That I live among people,
That we live together, we millions.
We make our lives possible for each other.

Everything I need on a daily basis
Is but a short walk from my door.
Yet I take great pleasure in my freedom
To drive wherever whenever I want.

I love driving under the canopy of trees
Sunlight flickering.
I love the panoramic views
Coming up over the hill crest.



Talking on the telephone is also hearing
Without seeing, but interactive.
Tonight you call me at our appointed time
And I delight in your voice.

You tell me the story of your day
The people and problems and solutions at work
As your pumpkin soup cools.
I imagine the smell.

I tell you of the sweet Elizabethan music
I’ve been listening to today.
Tomorrow I’ll drive to your place
We’ll eat that soup together.