Friday, November 20, 2009

a good surprise


It’s a pleasant surprise, a mild November morning,
Blue sky, full sun on my face as I walk the old dog.
We are repeating our usual circuit trip around the block
And yet the experience is in the present.
The sky has cleared after yesterday’s rain.
I hear and smell and see all around me.

The warm moist air on my skin feels spring-like.
I even hear a bird call modulating that I heard last spring.
How can that be? A mystery.
What is that bird? I still haven’t seen it.
There’s always much more to learn.
I accumulate knowledge like others collect things.

The dog stops to do his business in the wooded area.
I see the yellow maple leaves littering on top,
Noticing this year how they are among the last to fall
While their red maple cousins were among the first to fall.
I see this because I can name the species this year.
I’ve been learning new things, this old dog.

Last night you called me by surprise late
Just as I was settling into bed
Just to say you were longing to be next to me.
Such a delight for me that you are there
Feeling that way about me,
Feeling the way I do about you.