Saturday, May 30, 2009

In the next life
























The meeting room so familiar more than 30 years ago,
Not seen in half my lifetime,
Not given much thought all those years,
You are there in that room but I don’t know you.

Now I am remembering the youth gathering there
Thinking of you being there living your separate thread.
You were college age and single.
I was nearer 30 and father of an elementary schoolchild.

The women there were impressive in every way.
You are one of those women.
Many a time I have mused what if I were paired with one of them.
I am excited to re-meet you, hopeful we will like each other.

For us our encounter is a bit of meeting in the afterlife.
I dropped away after 5 years, moved out of town, working overtime.
You were devoted to the cause for 30 years, loyal and true.
And now you are moving on to the next life.

I awake this morning in the cabin next to the brook in full flood
With the rushing, roaring waterfall sound to center me
And I remember the Key Martin cabin near Stamford.
Did you ever spend a night there?

It’s not so far from here, also on a brook
On the West Branch near the headwaters,
Filling the New York City reservoir system
On its way to Trenton and Philadelphia.

Having a cabin like this was a boyhood fantasy.
Now this is real, this is so special,
Infused with the kinetic energy of the brook.
Having a companion like you is my adult fantasy.