Saturday, March 23, 2024

what makes us human

Always wanting to know why

What makes us human

Begins at an early age

As every parent well knows


I laughed out loud remembering this

Reading about toddlers behavior

Asking an average 107 questions per hour

Counted in some early childhood study


The repeating question being asked is why

And every answer gets the same response

Wanting the explanation behind every explanation 

Until eventually the answer is I don't know


That is an important lesson to learn

Though often expressed indirectly

Ordered to stop further inquiry 

Because I said so


Better to encourage wanting to know why

To teach by example the scientific method

Using logical reasoning to reach conclusions

Inspiring a child to want to find answers


I think you were that curious child

The way you continue to ask questions

Always searching for new information

Absorbing all the intricate details


Excited to tell me all about it

What you have read in the latest research

Ready with your response when I ask

Why anything is the way that it is