Tuesday, September 13, 2022

solo

The sound of a clarinet

That is music to my ears

The instrument I played years ago 

Performing in the school band


I have taken it up again recently 

Playing only when I am alone

Considering no one else has to hear

The first faltering notes that I produce


An occasional squeak or squawk

But otherwise it's good and it flows

Easily remembering the fingering

Eyes straining a bit to read the sheet music


There are phrases I play for fun 

When I am just warming up making it up

Enjoying the ad lib song of myself

Before I turn to practicing classical tunes


My favorite melodies come back to me

Familiar pieces played with metronomic rhythms

Especially Bach's rather insistent repeating variations

Keeping time like a tick tock clock 


But then that's what I hear in my head later 

As we walk along at a steady pace 

Our synchronous footsteps beat out the notes

From Sleepers Awake and Brandenburg Concertos