Monday, September 12, 2022

cautious optimism

At times I feel a tightness in my chest 

Needing to take a deep breath

Holding onto hope for your remission

Holding back my fearfulness


There is reason for cautious optimism

About the test two months from now 

The interim results are the best yet

Though the level needs to drop further


There's a good chance that happens

But last time it bounced back up

So we keep our fingers crossed

Against another disappointment 


One sure thing amid the uncertainty

After a young life upended by a diagnosis

After a year immersed in medical interventions 

You are so ready to make a new start


The loss of innocence my sweet child

In appreciation of what you have been through

The waiting that now weighs on me

For you is managed through acceptance


You have gone above and beyond

Getting the very best treatment possible

And now you are preparing yourself

To get on with your life come what may