Tuesday, July 19, 2022

father daughter car ride

So much has changed 

From when a young girl rode beside me

Enjoying our playful conversation

Happy to be going places 


But I am still her person today

Providing a shoulder and a hug

As the young woman rides beside me

Going home after outpatient surgery


You are too young to have these troubles

Tests and procedures taking over your life 

Tumors and hormones gone rogue

No one deserves what you're going through


Did inherited problem genes do this 

Impossible to know or make better now

One of life’s many uncertainties 

But this much I know 


Your life has been a gift to me

Full of love between father and daughter

All the more now that you need me again 

To wrap you close in my arms


Your inner strength and sincerity of purpose 

Your empathy and consideration for others

With these and many more admirable qualities 

You are a gift to everyone around you