Wednesday, July 27, 2022

a place of stillness

They didn't believe me

The two women who know me best

When I said I'm not worried

About what might go wrong


It's not helpful I said

And it's completely out of my hands

I have confidence in the neurosurgeon

So I do not dwell on the risks


You filled us in on everything

How you will fly across the country to his hospital

And stay in temporary housing while you recover

Waiting to get cleared to fly back 


I can visualize him removing the tumor

While you are intubated immobilized on the table 

While thirty-six other neurosurgeons there

Watch on screen learning the technique 


I do feel calm considering the uncertainty

Seeing you are ready to do this 

At least for now putting aside my fear

As if my demeanor might help you 


To find a place of stillness

On the day of the operation

To feel me there with you

Breathing slow deep breaths