Wednesday, June 8, 2022

jungle boots

The boots could be had for cheap

From the wholesale army surplus storefront

One of my afternoon UPS pickup stops

On Broadway below Houston before it was gentrified


Vietnam jungle boots made in Korea

As I liked to point out making a political point

Not realizing some fifty years and many wars later

I would be wearing clothes made in Vietnam


A swirl of memories surfaces of times gone by

Opened by those thick hard soles and canvas uppers

Favored by a number of the other delivery drivers

Impossible to wear through while walking the city streets


I was their supplier selecting the requested size

A favor I did for them thanks to a favor done for me

By the two men who ran the wholesale business

To let me buy those boots retail off the books


I remember Jimmy Owens who wore his proudly

Who grew up in Harlem and lived on 125th Street

So full of exuberant energy completing his rounds

Who included me in the group welcomed like a brother


And I got them for certain other African American drivers

Who knew the jungle pungi stick booby traps firsthand

Who wore those boots as a statement bonding together

In memory of their time as military conscripts sent to Vietnam


To see for myself I got a pair that indeed never wore out

But learned the hard way that instead I would wear out

Needing to switch to cushioned soled shoes on my feet

To ease the step down impact and high laces irritation


Now sometimes when my feet ache after I walk a few miles

I think of the endless series of modern wars in my lifetime

Saddened by the suffering of the ordinary people caught up in it

Not the world I hoped my generation would bring about