Friday, January 7, 2022

personal connections

Hazel looks at her father Nick's phone 

Checking up on him now and then 

The way there are few secrets kept

From intelligent preteen daughters 


He tells me she looks at his Fitbit numbers 

Seeing my step count has increased of late 

Commenting I must be in Florida now 

Knowing about my annual exercise variation 


I hardly know Hazel except through Nick

Just like she knows me only through him

Someone I have known from before she was born 

Someone who keeps in touch like I am family 


We worked together for eighteen years 

Relied on each other to achieve success 

But it has been four years since that stopped 

And still he checks in on me now and then 


I'm old enough to be his father actually 

And I like to think I am a father figure for him 

Though I know he keeps up with so many people 

I like to be included in hearing about his life these days 


So many relationships turn out to be situational 

In school at work with neighbors in organizations 

Once you move on and the interactions end

Most people simply drop out of contact 


Aware of the value of personal connections 

Taking care to maintain the thread between us

Making the effort to continue sharing with each other 

Nick knows what is most important