Sunday, January 30, 2022

house of mirrors

This is a house of mirrors in every room

Serving to correct my mental self image

Faced with a reflection of how others see me

Though I mostly evade making eye contact


As if to avoid staring at a stranger

Glancing away when they look at me

As if I do not inhabit that body

Seen on a glass surface across the room


But I look back in the privacy of the bathroom

Examining the familiar multicolored eyes 

Black pupil inside brown inner ring and outer green

Born the child of brown and blue-eyed people


Stepping out of the shower stall naked

Confronted with a full body mirror image

This is no youthful frame standing there

With a bit of paunch that can’t be denied


I see the deepening creases in my aging face

And feel the unfamiliar slack skin in my cheeks

Pausing a moment on the cusp of acceptance

Readily forgotten when I leave that room