Sunday, August 9, 2020

endlessly why

They drove up just as we started out walking
But I didn't see them until later when we doubled back
To find the unmarked trailhead beginning the loop
Hiking our way through the Maine woods.

Seen as silhouettes in the distance
Two adults and two children coming towards us
Summer people like us to judge by their license plate
Also exploring and enjoying some outdoor exercise. 

The youngest child can be heard aways off
A boy bounding with energy and inquisitiveness
Wanting to know all about everything in this world 
Delighted to encounter this place full of wonder.

The parents kept busy responding to his questions
Reminding me how curious children ask endlessly why
And every answer only leads to another question
Trying to get to the bottom of it all.

The parents are perhaps half my advancing age
So I think they may overtake us walking faster
But we are striding right along keeping ahead of the mosquitoes
As we listen to their dialogue following us behind.

I know there comes a point when the answer is not known
And the question will then get posed why don't you know
And the best we can do is to encourage the desire to learn
Explaining how people are still figuring it out.

I don't see them again until we're back where we started
And we leave without ever being close enough to say hello
Though I see the father wave to us in my rear view mirror
And I wave back at someone sad to say I will never see again.