Sunday, June 11, 2017

time travel

The other day as I was walking with you
Looking down under the midday June sun
Seeing my shadow head a step in front
I recognized the outline of the boy I was.

Surprised almost startled by the image
Made aware of my constant companion
Who quietly waits for a moment to manifest
Ears sticking out under the brim of his hat.

This fits “Your brain is a time machine”
The title of a book review that I chanced to read
Later that day in the evening before bed
As my inner thoughts floated like sleep.

I like to let my memories arrange themselves
Freely associating people and places
A pleasant enough dream kaleidoscope
But not the happiness of being with you now.

We will go this summer to visit new places
Exploring terrain never seen before by the likes of us
That will fill our days with present awareness
Experiencing a different kind of time travel.