Tuesday, June 29, 2010

such sadness




Your thoughts and mine go there to him.
Our sadness grows deeper day by day.
It is the fourth week after the surgery.
And still he suffers in the hospital.

His vibrant life and dreams so suddenly taken.
Our hope of more good times to come in doubt.
His days and nights now filled with pain.
Indignity and humiliation his lot in life.

He asks you for mercy to put an end to this.
He has no strength or will to rebuild and resume.
Most days he refuses his food and medicine.
No way can he bear to end up in a nursing home.

I feel an ache inside my chest and in my neck.
And my shoulders and back hurt, too.
My feet are grieving from ankles and arches to toes.
He is depressed, despondent, down the hole.

You tell me every day how it's going.
There's seldom a shred of good news.
I am helpless to make things better.
I listen in sympathy while feeling distress.

We are about to move in together.
We have found a close to perfect place.
We were looking forwards to our first days there.
But now the dark cloud of despair fills the air.

We will recover. We are resilient.
A joyful noise will sound again in our lives
Walking under the grand old trees hearing the birds
Watching a gorgeous sunset on a summer eve.