Friday, June 11, 2010

robin song




That robin this June in the silver maple is so loud
Singing past mid morning now into the afternoon nonstop
Singing at 3 AM the other night like a mockingbird
I don’t remember this in years before.

I think robins sing around dawn and then again at dusk
Talking about the night and day changing
Or after the rain. I wonder is this something new
Or am I just noticing after a lifetime being deaf?

Heard above the traffic noise rising and falling
I listen to the cheeri-up, cheeri-up, cheeri-up tremolo.
Why is this bird sitting there singing and singing?
The ancients would interpret it as a sign.

I love everything alive in the world.
This year I see dinosaur footprints in the bird tracks.
For me this bird is sent to sing praises to all who will hear
Joy to the world for all the creatures in it.