Tuesday, June 15, 2010

the ordeal




The ordeal of Al Ayling goes on another day
Uncertain whether he will live or die.
Your hopes and fears ebb and flow in parallel
An emotional trial now in the second week.

I get phone calls twice a day, never knowing
Will I hear good news or bad.
If he doesn’t get better soon
We fear he’s going to get worse.

You flew to him so full of love.
You are such an empathetic person.
My heart goes out to him and you.
I try to be supportive.

You are doing whatever you can
To make him more comfortable
Washing his face with a washcloth
Gently rubbing the place next to his temple.

There’s such a physical distance between us now.
I’m writing this trying to be closer to you.
There’s a care package on its way to him
Bringing the violin music he loves.

Last night as we talked you had good news.
He doesn’t need more surgery, at least yet.
I heard his grandfather clock chiming on the hour
As you were sitting in his chair the first time ever.

When we visited there he stopped the clock
So the chimes would not disturb our sleep.
You are winding that clock now not letting it stop
As if the tick tock is keeping his heart going.

When I went and watered your plants back here
And took in your mail, I found the light left on
The beautiful lamp he made for you this year.
I left it turned on as if it's keeping him alive.

Yesterday he was saying good-bye to you
Wishing you happiness in your life with me.
Last night the doctor was promising him a future
Hiking around, enjoying more life.

Oh how I wish we have more time with him.
Oh how sweet the connection between you two.
Oh how I am longing to hold you in my arms
As if my embrace could make you feel better.