Monday, April 1, 2024

only sometimes seen

Mostly I don't see it but it's always there

A circular shadow in every image

Showing itself against the deep blue sky

Intruding on the scene right side 


Starting some time ago I don't know when 

Perhaps some accidental fall that shook it

Now needing editing hiding the imperfection 

Cropping my photos to remove the flaw


The camera exists as my external eyes 

Which makes for me internal symmetry 

Matching my similar left eye shadow shape

A blind spot only sometimes seen


The memory of the onset remains sharp 

Startled by a silent sudden twinkling

Marking a separation resulting in a dark cloud 

Something I do my best not to notice 


My brain creates a complete picture 

Always scanning keeping my eyes moving

Filling in the gaps with interpolated images

Imagining what is there based on context


The camera shows me things I missed

When I only got a glimpse in real life 

Preserving images as data points

The building blocks informing memory


The process of recall requires interpolation

Constructing a narrative to tie it together

Which makes it possible to see things differently

If you can imagine telling another story