Friday, July 7, 2023

life partners dance

I am following in your footsteps

Matching you stride for stride 

As we walk along listening to music 

Going in a loop from room to room


When outside is too hot or cold or storming

Or the air quality is unhealthy 

We switch to doing inside laps

Keeping up our daily exercise


We march along in a two-person parade

Coupled in our private line dance

Me staying on the beat if I look down at your feet

You reminiscing about days past picketing


If I get too close crowding your space 

You step aside for me to lead the way 

Though as we are walking a circular path

No one is really in front or behind 


We are good at being together

But if I were a good dancer like you

For your birthday I would take you dancing

Knowing how much fun you had 


You who loved to dance

Before you paired with me

Happy now in a different way

Doing our life partners dance