Monday, July 24, 2023

his unfinished book

What he most wants to do

To write a sequel to his book

Telling the ongoing story of a life

Lived as a revolutionary


A story based on actual events

And personal experience

Blending fact and fiction

Into drama and suspense


To continue on with the narrative 

That closed some fifty years ago

With their nemesis enemy killed in self defense 

Leaving the young lovers lives ahead


Not all will end well as I expect

In the difficult historical period following 

With its setbacks and serious errors

As well as successful struggles


During those fifty years he and I led separate lives

After I dropped away out of touch 

While he stayed dedicated and true

But he still remembers our first meeting


Invited to his apartment for a dinner discussion 

Served a simple spaghetti meal he cooked 

In agreement with his political positions

My college friend and I decided to join the group


And now meeting again he accepts me as I am

Interested in my writing and photography

And I enjoy his insight and commentary

Glad for his willingness to engage with me


In another life if such were possible

He might take the time to learn more languages

To become proficient in Swahili for example

Though he is already a fluent polyglot 


But the unfinished book occupies his thoughts 

And if his stance appears a bit hunched over

Consider the hours spent typing at his keyboard

When he looks up and smiles to see us