Saturday, June 10, 2023

when first I knew

If not for our shared calendar with the exact date 

I would just say it was the third weekend in June 

The peak of the mountain laurel bloom back then

When you proposed to hike to Lake Skenonto


With you leading the way along the Harriman trail 

Scrambling up steep slopes and down and around

Taking me to see one of your favorite places

The overlook rock where we stayed for an hour 


That’s when first I knew it was happening 

The way you looked at me and spoke to me

Us feeling a mutual desire to be close to each other

Shown in the wide smiles in the photos we took 


That's how I remember our anniversary day

When we began to become an inseparable pair

And I know you are still every bit as happy as me

Thankful we found each other


Fourteen years now hoping for many more

We who get along with no reason to quarrel

Accepting each other like we accept ourselves

Enjoying each day since then sharing our lives 


And so we celebrate our good fortune

Being with someone kind we love and respect

Someone smart and sensitive and thoughtful 

Helping each other in the way that we can