Thursday, June 8, 2023

the song of our selves

Playing a simple song with variations

Something I made up easy to play 

Alone by myself fingering the notes

Enjoying the sound of my clarinet


Reviving a kind of muscle memory 

An upbeat happy tune tinged with sadness

Missing my mother who encouraged me

Before death took her from that boy


She who transported me to and from

Those many weekly music lessons

And sometimes art classes for me to learn 

Drawing and painting with watercolors


Her leaving me with my homophobic father

Mouthing his slurs and disparaging remarks

Who never once came to hear me play

Yet I gained something more being on my own 


How he kept silent when I took him years later 

To see Breaking the Code performed on Broadway 

About the genius and persecution of Alan Turing 

Making a statement opposing my father's bigotry


As I string the clear note phrases together 

Into an elementary composition 

A lifetime later I can relate to Pride Month

Celebrating the song of our selves