Sunday, May 14, 2023

someone in the past tense

Stiles Thomas a man I hardly knew

Died in his 100th year this week 

The same age as our Rosie three years ago 

Much loved by many people


Someone dearly missed

Brings us together in sadness 

Gathering everyone's stories 

Speaking of them with words of praise


As Rosie explained the afterlife 

Our memories of them will live on

As long as anyone cares to remember

Someone in the past tense


That gives me a good feeling

As I assemble a web page for Stiles

Primarily for his family to have

And all of us to know him better 


As I think of all the people I miss

Who have their undocumented stories 

I recall their faces and voices

My way of keeping them with me 


This is the human condition

To end up as a collection of stories

Held onto by the people we lived among

Told to us from their perspective