Saturday, January 7, 2023

being seen as a threat

The birds take flight as we approach 

Keeping at a safe distance from us 

We birdwatchers born into a predator species

Capturing images shooting with a camera 


Why no one wants their picture taken by a stranger

Without first asking for their permission

And children's faces are completely off limits

To keep them hidden from predators 


Why so few people can be seen in my photography 

Especially if you are a woman subject to the male gaze

Feeling unsafe wanting to avoid any interaction

For whom predator is a gendered noun like me 


Though women of a certain age become invisible

No longer attracting unwanted attention 

To be overlooked is to be completely disregarded

Not recognized as a worthy human being


So too people of color must be wary

Careful not to present any pretext for offense

As if being visible is a form of disrespect 

For whom predator is someone who looks like me 


My experience of being seen as a threat

Though I personally am not one to be feared

Resulting from my existence in this culture

Leaves me longing for an alternative reality