Tuesday, May 10, 2022

only money

It's only money as the saying goes

As compared to your personal health

Which is much easier to tell someone else

Than to take it to heart oneself


Having unexpected expenses feels bad

Even when you can afford the loss

Which so many people cannot

Forcing them to make hard choices


Fortunately for me these days

I have a substantial reserve fund

But I do not forget what it was like

Living from paycheck to paycheck


And if I see someone with a worried look

When checking out at the supermarket

I want to offer to buy their groceries

Just to give them a one-time break


But I hold back in case it would offend

Expecting their reflex response refusal

Such a thing is just not done

Coming from a random stranger


I could be seen as a crazy person

Or else as someone confused by dementia

So I  wait my turn and keep silent

Watching them dig deep paying their bill