Tuesday, December 14, 2021

the loss of innocence

Sometimes a wave of sadness washes over me

Left alone with my feelings not wanting to speak

Knowing that keeping quiet lets it pass away 

Like letting go of the loss of innocence 


This was the best time of the year when I was young 

Anticipating the one special day for opening gifts 

Excited to discover fun new games and toys

Enjoying the decorations and music and lights


Now I am rather indifferent about it being an atheist 

And with no young children in my life who would be disappointed 

And with no urge to binge on buying things to pile under a tree

And with no wish to conform to the Christian calendar 


Time was when I made a point of pointing out 

This is a pagan holiday celebrating the winter solstice 

Yuletide lights and evergreen tree and burning log

And the modern day jingle of the cash register 


Being in a place now where it never snows 

The absurd display of figures that belong in frigid settings

Might be viewed as a form of humor by some

Poking fun at the remaining true believers