Tuesday, August 17, 2021

checking in

My friend calls me when he's out walking 

Trudging along despite his fatigue 

Doing what he can to keep going 

Hoping to last another decade 


His blood work results fluctuate 

Some indications good and some not so much

One improves and another gets worse 

A number progression with scary spikes 


That's all rather abstract impersonal sampling

The point is the treatment is working for now 

To keep the cancer under control 

And we can talk about almost anything 


He sometimes has intrusive thoughts as do I 

And almost everyone from what I understand 

Though each of us has our own separate issues 

It's good to talk our way through it together


Reminding him of his empty shirt that hangs disembodied 

Waiting for him here where he left it in my house 

Listening to him proudly proclaim he's still alive 

Telling him I wish he felt better 


He stops to help someone he encounters 

Doing what truly keeps him going 

And I go back to my personal life

Until our next call next week