Tuesday, August 10, 2021

blueberry pie

In the second week of August in Maine 

The wild blueberries are ripe for picking 

To be baked in a pie with a butter crust 

To be picked up from a roadside farm stand


An annual indulgence I allow myself 

To enjoy the feel of each bite in my mouth 

Just the right intensity of sweet fruit 

With a delicious crust to follow 


Savored piece by piece for several days 

Shared with you though you take less 

Leaving me more than enough 

To fill me up with gustatory pleasure 


We do dessert only on special occasions 

Though one more day is not remarkable 

And one more year is not significant 

When so many have come and gone 


So we make our simple acknowledgement 

Appreciating the well wishes we receive 

Grateful to be here in good health 

Every day is a good day when you get old