Thursday, March 4, 2021

not forgotten

On International Women's Day this year 

There's one person especially to celebrate 

Now that she can no longer object to us

Making a fuss over the coincidence of her birth 


Rosie would be turning 100 March 8th

And still maintaining the mailing list

Happy to be alive involved with people 

Had she survived the pandemic 


I would be writing something about her

In my way of showing appreciation 

To commemorate her life and longevity 

That she would read and kindly comment 


Now I write to keep Rosie with us a bit longer 

Following along with what she said about death 

That a person remains in this world afterwards 

For as long as anyone remembers them 


She didn't want me to ever take her photo

Leaving me to visualize her bright eyes twinkling 

The way she would converse reacting in delight 

The way her animated voice filled the room 


Oh how I enjoyed the stories she told 

The people in her life when she was young 

The fun times and the important events 

The way her memory kept them alive


So many people miss Rosie that we know 

Feeling the empty space she left behind 

And yet I feel her presence smiling upon us

Being able to enjoy each day that we are here