Sunday, January 10, 2021

in a quiet place

The rumble and roar and loud beeping noise

Traffic and planes and machinery grinding 

If that was all I could hear when walking outside 

My ears would wish to be in a quiet place 


To find somewhere to enjoy listening closely 

Away from human commerce and commotion 

Able to hear the subtle sounds in nature 

Especially the birds calling and their sweet songs


This is where I find my everyday happiness 

Having learned to identify the individual species 

Excited when hearing an unfamiliar phrase 

Getting a glimpse and discovering the bird


All this was always there unknown to me

Until I became interested in the particular details 

Seen only if you look and pay attention 

Heard only if you recognize the patterns 


My hearing range somewhat limits what I can hear 

As is also true for my partner in the field 

But our gaps complement for more complete coverage 

Alerting each other to certain high and low notes


There are songs heard only in breeding season

That must be remembered again each year

And songs that change by the time of day

Between morning foraging and evening roost


There's so much information that could be shared

But words cannot convey the delightful experience 

Being in the presence of a thrush or veery or a meadowlark 

Or any of the songs and the sight of feathered beauty