Tuesday, September 8, 2020

ever changing habitat

That's virginia creeper I told her
After taking a closer look at the vine
She was examining trying to identify
Just now learning about invasive plants 

The leaves will soon turn red I said
Making it easy to spot in the foliage
And I asked if she had noticed the grass
Oh yes she knew it's called stilt grass

But I have a different take on invasive species
I went on to say to her we need to look at ourselves
As the first and foremost invasive species here
Talking about the two of us white people in America

That's an interesting perspective she replied
And went to join her horticultural group just arrived
And I went on my way to walk in the woods
Where I made my own most interesting discovery

I noticed a very large caterpillar ready to pupate 
Clasping onto a stem of virginia creeper vine
So heavy hanging down from near the tip
A pandora sphinx moth that this plant hosts

In this place posted with signs about restoring native plants
A commendable effort to cultivate a kind of historic garden
In this landscape that has a name taken from the native language 
There is no thought given to also restoring the native people 

This is the privilege of the weeders of the woods who garden here
To see themselves as working to protect and preserve nature 
But I see nature working independently to its own purpose
Expanding current species range in an ever changing habitat