Saturday, September 19, 2020

bad dream banished

When I am feeling down
Waking from a bad dream
Every ache and pain sensation
Tells me I am old and in decline 

My inescapable individual existence
Confined within this wrinkled skin
Subject to dark thoughts while asleep
Weighs upon the morning hours 

The neighborhood leafblower noise grates
As I read the news almost all bad
Sometimes the bright side disappears
Until my companion cheers me up

Though I haven't talked about it
She asks me knowing I am dispirited 
Sweetly giving me a hug and a kiss
A connection changing my outlook 

This is a welcome blue sky day
When we can get outside of ourselves
Walking in nature enjoying the sunlight
Moving our bones being alive

But having a life partner to share it with
That is the greatest gift I am given
Who banished my residual bad dream 
To let us have this precious day together