Friday, August 9, 2019

trail walker

Grandma Gatewood walked through Hartland, Vermont
Invited to stay the night one fine day in August, 1955
As I learned all these many years later reading a book
Telling the story of how she hiked the Appalachian Trail.

I was there in Hartland at the time nine years old
On vacation with my family staying at a special place
A grand brick house with the stately name of Great Oaks
On a country dirt road with dairy farms all around.

I would have liked to see Grandma walk through town
Had I but known what was going on back in the day
And even today what I don't know would fill many a book
Like the people I learn that I missed when reading obits.

But that boy just turned nine was having the time of his life
Playing by the brook and swimming in the pond
Visiting the cows in the pasture and the farmer in the barn
Catching frogs and snakes in a world of wonder.

I remember climbing the trail up Smarts Mountain to the fire tower
Unaware we were following in Grandma's footsteps
Never imagining someone able to walk all two thousand miles alone
The way she showed what's possible to all who came after.

These days I enjoy walking a few miles on the trail
Greeting the through hikers hurrying north
Happy to see their energy and excitement in their stride
Proud of their achievement having come so far along.

I'm never going to complete that challenging trek
Though I'm no older than she was when she stepped out
As I climb the foothills of very old mountains an old man myself
I don't have to go very far to find beauty in nature.