Monday, October 15, 2018

the livelong night interrupted

The Autumn nights get longer every day now
As we put more blankets on our bed
Perhaps to fall asleep and stay asleep
Though we are prone to experience wakeful thoughts.

Remember staying up all night for the first time
That was a passage of youth done for fun
But being sleepless when you turn off the lights now
That is the unwelcome companion of the old.

When thinking keeps me awake, I surrender to the flow
Head upon the pillow, relaxed as best I can
Letting my memories take me where they will
Alone in the timeless darkness until morning.

On any given night I expect an intermittent sleep
Coming awake every two to three hours aware of myself
Walking to the bathroom to empty my bladder
Switching what side I lie on getting back in bed.

This is the time to let my brain rest and refresh
Clearing away any accumulated stress debris
Not so much required these days being retired
Living a life of leisure seeking simple pleasures.

On a night that begins with the usual routine
I drift off hearing the late evening freight train horn going past
Stirring awake hours later hearing another train hooting
Listening to the sound softly repeating through closed windows.

Then hearing a faint tremulous hoo-hooing in response
That startles me wide awake recognizing a screech owl vocalizing
Calling as if in response to the haunting train song
I rush to the back door to open and hear better what’s outside.

In the middle of the night the backyard hides shrouded
But I hear the screech owl call loudly and unmistakably close
Then again, more distant, quickly breaking off our encounter
Leaving me staring after an elusive invisible bird.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful to be among the night owls
Seeing in the dark and hearing whispers in the still of the night
A thought that keeps me awake awhile longer
Before the dream of morning gathers me in its arms.