Wednesday, March 7, 2018

snow day

As it snows there today a foot or more in early March
We are fifteen hundred miles south of you
Living this winter in another time of life
Where no school cancellation snow days happen for us.

It has been half a year since you set up your own household
Establishing your independence, enjoying your self-reliance
And now you are taking care of us in our absence
Watering our plants and forwarding the mail.

I remember the time it snowed a blizzard on your birthday
When you were in preschool and so excited for your party
I drove around and picked up your playmate friends
Making that celebration happen despite the weather.

That day is one of countless memories that visit my thoughts
When I lie half-awake in the very early morning
Drifting in and out between past people and places
Now that there’s no alarm clock rousing me off to work.

Happily the storm brings you a gift holiday from teaching fifth grade
A chance to rest up and recover your emotional energy
For a job more complex and involved than I could manage
Needing to teach social life skills not just the subject matter.

What I can do is set down these words keeping up our tradition
Thinking you value this form of annual acknowledgement
You are a good person doing your best doing well
Making me proud how you handle life’s challenges.

I look forward next month to resuming our weekly dinners
Hearing the passionate details of conflict and resolution
Listening to the way you approach solving problems
Using your excellent people skills to work out solutions.