Monday, February 5, 2018

the eagle and the owl

for Milt and Rosie

He was her magnificent eagle
The way she saw him first
So handsome with his aquiline nose
When she put her enchanting moves on him.

Rosie told us this love story
How Milt caught her eye in Buffalo
Enthusiastically chanting on the picket line
Both of them young communists.

I think she was Milt’s wise owl and sharp wit
Giving him the kind of insight into people
That comes to her so easily
I wonder if she knows how special she is.

Their paired history together more than 60 years
From their thirties into their nineties
Living through so many shared events
Console her now remembering it all.

His fierce passion for the class struggle
Inspired us to engage in so many union battles
Alongside the comrades rallying to the cause
Struggling to make a workers’ revolution.

He took me under his wing in my youth
When I staffed the Center for United Labor Action
When I leafletted at the unemployment office
Encouraging me to help others win denied benefits.

If Milt stood up to talk he spoke in a shout
Calling for the overthrow of the capitalist bosses
His hatred was visceral leaving no doubt
For him the enemy was very personal.

With Rosie the typesetter as his partner
With Vinny and Libby they were a team
With Sam and Dottie they were our leaders
Able to bring forceful clarity to every question.

Now Rosie has outlived them all
Facing a future without her life partner
So difficult to be bereft of his companionship
How I wish I could ease her burden.

Rosie the resilient never ceases to amaze me
Taking whatever falls on her and finding the good
Cherishing beautiful transcending experiences
Treasures that can never be taken from her.

She gives to me more than I give to her
Appreciating my photos with her lively comments
Approving of what I write, giving me affirmations
How I hope we have her with us a while longer.