Monday, September 11, 2017

trucking it

Sitting up high in the truck cab again after so many years
Checking the side mirrors to see who’s behind me
Driving along cautiously in this wide tall vehicle
Adjusting to slow acceleration, soft braking and wide turns.

We are moving my youngest daughter who was not yet born
When driving a truck was my work life delivering and picking up
A job she heard about the way children take in stories
Revisited now she is grown up setting up her first household apart.

I teared up as she pulled out of our driveway for the last time
Living with us here enjoying a wonderful time together.
Though I am happy for her to go and there’s a certain lift I feel
I’m glad she saw me, stopped and came back for a last hug.

Now the truck is loaded and a good friend is helping us
Sitting three across in the cab talking as we go the short eleven miles
Doing this move for her as retired people while she works
Happy to be a capable crew even as seventy-somethings.

We get all the boxes and furniture on and off the elevator
Into apartment E5 except the full size couch cannot fit.
Not to be defeated we take the wide back stairwell
Posing proudly when we get upstairs with our accomplishment.

Some may think we are old fools not to hire movers
Not understanding the fun we had being able to do it
Devising a technique to maneuver that large heavy object
Mind over matter one flight at a time.