Thursday, July 18, 2013

a week to go


A week to go now before your surgery
Counting down the days in July in 2013
Your family and friends helping you
Ready for the cancer to be excised.

I think of your two young children
And remember being a child of 13
When my mother was stricken with cancer
Though no one told her or us what it was.

I think of you preparing yourself
And remember how it was for me
When I was diagnosed and waiting
My turn on the surgeon’s table.

I send you the thoughts in my heart.
May you have the strength to bear what you must.
May your children know their mother’s love is assured.
May your husband be your comfort and help.

Everyone’s life changes over time
But sometimes it changes overnight.
We don’t get to choose what comes our way
How we respond reveals who we are.

We can cherish each day we are given
Tell the people we love that we love them
Let go of any minor annoyances
And enjoy the time we have with each other.