Tuesday, March 9, 2010

transitioning




Graduation spring is upon us.
I’m happy and sad to see you grown up.

Seeing you dress for work so purposeful
I’m so proud and pleased you are adult and happening.
Greeting you much later tired from restaurant work
I enjoy you counting up the money in your pocket.

Listening to the chatter of high school seniors
Congregating in our kitchen lunchtime
To me this is like hearing the birds in spring
Before you all fly away off to college in the fall.

There are major changes coming soon.
I’m going to miss you so much.

Tomorrow you are eighteen.
We’ve been through an eventful year, you and I.
Mostly all good memories with some bumps
Staying connected, being there for each other.

I’m going to enjoy you soaring and singing
Out in the wide world that awaits you.
I’ll always have you in my heart
And you’ll feel me with you wherever you go.

I love you my sweet child.
You are the best daughter to me.


after dinner speech