Monday, February 15, 2010

two weeks from now




Two weeks from now we will be driving to Blanchiseusse
On the left side of the road to where the coastal road ends.
I’ve never been to Trinidad.
I am so excited to go there with you.

I am imagining us hiking the north shore path towards Matelot
Exploring the Paria River waterfalls,
Stopping for a picnic lunch by some coastal cove beach,
Being there together in our version of paradise.

I am imagining us driving through the rain forest,
Up the switchback corners to the mountaintop preserve,
Stopping along the way amazed by the birds we see,
Amazed by the plant and tree diversity.

We have a list of places to go while we are there
Longer than we will do in one week.
All of them will be more special to me
Seeing them for the first time with you.

Today I begin packing my bag.
Shorts and sandals and swimsuit go in,
Trinidad bird books and binoculars.
I am so ready for our vacation trip.