Monday, February 22, 2010

scallops for dinner




You like scallops.
This was your favorite when you were a child.
Now I am preparing them for our Friday evening meal.
You are coming to visit for the weekend.

I like scallops, too.
That’s why I have them here
From before you came into my life
Liking so many things the same as you.

I enjoy making a meal for two.
For you I make sure to use plenty of garlic.
I think we’re going to have our usual good time together
But I am in for a big surprise.

You’ve been careful in this relationship,
Making sure it’s not too good to be true,
Making sure we don’t get out ahead of ourselves.
I’ve adjusted to this. I’m happy with it. I don’t push.

Today after lunch you reach out your hand to me
And ask if there’s anything I want to talk about.
Me? Nothing is bothering me. How about you?
Yes, you want to talk about us living together.

Wow! I did not expect this conversation yet.
How do I feel about it? Absolutely yes!
But where? We will find a place that works
For both of us, we have time to figure it out.

It won’t be until next fall.
I ask you again, is this about me,
You want to live with me?
Yes, you say, let me tell you the reasons why.