Thursday, July 30, 2009

addition considerations




For awhile you were my one and only.
I devoted myself to being the best father I could be.
I am still that father now
But you’re not the only one in my life.

It’s a change for both of us.
You still get all your favorite foods prepared.
You still get my affection and guidance.
But now I’m in another relationship, too.

I adore you. You know this.
I adore her, too, in another way.
You don’t easily accept this change yet.
It feels like losing me to share me.

You will be departing next year
Going off to college and your adult life.
She has arrived this year
Before you are ready to transition.

Every problem is an opportunity.
This can be a good thing.
She’s not moving in, you know?
This is still your house with me.

I am a happier person as you can see.
That’s good for you and me.
We still have our same special times together.
I have more to give, not less.

Our relationship is an unbreakable bond.
I wish you could make room in your heart
For someone new in my life.
I’m hoping for this generous gift.

She could be a welcome addition in your life
But she’s not going to push her way in.
She will be sensitive to your feelings
And let you determine what works for you.

She will only ever come here as a guest
When you are here, only with your permission.
I promise you’ll get every consideration.
Don’t worry, be happy!