Sunday, June 21, 2009

the navigator




The navigator loves maps
And I love having a navigator.
That the navigation is imperfect
Doesn’t matter.

I enjoy the simple pleasure
Deciding upon our destination together
Letting you consult your maps and determine our route
Letting you take control of these decisions.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m an active participant.
I talk to the navigator about where we are going.
I offer my help as we find our way.
We make the trip together.

Since the navigation is handled
I am free to pay attention to other things.
I am interested in what the navigator is feeling.
I ask personal questions.

Not everyone will answer such questions.
The navigator trusts me.
We are beginning to make a relationship.
There are some wrong turns and corrections.

Today we take the long way around
Which is not so far, anyway,
Except for stepping through so many puddles,
And being a little lost for awhile.

There we see the display of the entire city
Every building in miniature
People would be the size of period dots.
We are two lives among millions.

The journey we are making has taken many years.
We have each had our own false steps and dead ends.
We’re not exactly sure of the final destination,
But a welcome companion feels so right.