Wednesday, June 17, 2009

a good person




Trying to be a good person
That’s the way you describe yourself
As we go through the doorway
To where we sit facing each other.

I like looking in your eyes.
You look back and then look away
Letting me look for a moment
Like a brief touch.

I am not given to easy trust
Yet this is so easy to do with you
I gladly give myself over
Certain you are gentle and kind.

Who knew the passion underneath?
This is all unexpected
The surprise of a lifetime.
What I don’t see coming finds a way in.

You were always a good person.
Me, too. We know this.
We know a lot of where we’ve been
And what we’ve done. It’s a given.

But years later you have gotten better with age.
You are a better person now.
I see it in the way your face has improved.
I see less conviction but more empathy there now.

“Relationships are important.”
That could be your slogan these days.
I agree. That speaks to me.
And I see we are a real possibility.

I have a lot to give.
You have a lot to give.
We are worthy of each other.
We can do this.